Mystic Pizza Box

Mystic Pizza Box
A slice of heaven

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Nikolai and the Others Matinee 5-8-2013


Although I had already planned to see "Nikolai and the Others" this Saturday, I decided to catch today's matinee at the Mitzi E. Newhouse theater. Despite the pouring rain outside and a couple of fellow attendees who annoyed the shit out of me during the performance, I still managed to enjoyed Kathryn's portrayal of Natasha Nabokov. The play has gotten mixed reviews and I did find it very talky and dull at times, except when Kathryn was onstage. John Glover, Blair Brown, Haviland Morris, Stephen Kunken and Anthony Cochrane were among the outstanding cast in a play with little dashes of humor and ballet but no major conflict to drive the story. The playwright Richard Nelson intended to create "a world where the creating of art...lives side by side...with all other essential and necessary functions of human life." Well,I hope my second viewing of the play this Saturday will be more pleasant and that I'll have a different perspective on Nelson's work. As long as nobody falls asleep and snores near me or distracts me by whispering during the play or complaining about the view from their seat. I moved to a different empty seat in my row to escape these morons to no avail. Oy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had and will have the chance to see the play. I saw the short clip of the play with different scenes. Would love to see Kathryn on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rude people like that should be ejected from the theatre!

    ReplyDelete