Mystic Pizza Box

Mystic Pizza Box
A slice of heaven

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

May Day! May Day! Three mints in one

Yesterday was amazing and historical for many reasons, but I'll just list the main three. One, Pope John Paul II was beatified by the Catholic Church in Rome, making him one step away from formally being declared a saint just six years after his death in 2005. This is something that hasn't happened in centuries. I hope I live to see the canonization take place. Would love to be in Rome for that. I did attend a special Mass at St. Stanislaus R.C. Church on E. 7th Street on the Lower East Side, just blocks from Tompkins Square Park and my old elementary school St. Brigid's on Avenue B. Christodora House is just two blocks north of St. Brigid's on E. 9th and Ave B, btw. I stopped by the Armando Perez Community Garden on Ave C and E. 9th which has an outdoor ampitheater, where I saw a play years ago. Cool to know that Vincent was once a neighbor of mine. Too bad I didn't know it at the time. :( Oh well, At least he came back to the 'hood to film an upcoming episode of LO:CI last week at the Horseshoe Bar on Avenue B, right across from the park and St. Brigid's. Unfortunately, St. Brigid's Church has been boarded up for the past ten years, badly in need of repairs and finally undergoing extensive renovations. Don't know when the work will be completed, though. My brothers and I were all baptized in that church and my older brother and I received our first Communion there as well, before we moved to Brooklyn in the 1970's. Exteriors for the LO:CI season 1 episode "The Faithful" were filmed outside St. Brigid's Church in 2001 before it was boarded up.

Second, the premiere of Season 10 of LO:CI with "Rispetto" being the first episode aired, although it was the fourth episode filmed. I was fortunate enough to be on the set on March 23, 2011 when Goren and Eames were visiting the VSF shop in Greenwich Village and took that stroll in the rain while Goren holds the umbrella for Eames. Ever since I posted the vid I made on this blog and on Youtube, it's become known as the umbrella scene and I'm very proud of that. It's a shipper's delight, really to see our favorite detectives sharing an umbrella in the rain, even though they are discussing a murder investigation-not a very romantic subject. It was a very enjoyable episode overall, and so good to see Goren and Eames back on their feet and walking the beat like the old pros they are. The chemistry, the incisive observations and snarky comments are back. Goren has a wonderful moment near the end of the episode when he fakes out a suspect in call to a fashion designer posing as "Martin Flaum form Armani" and Eames looks on, quite pleased with his entertaining performance. Oh, that laugh was the best! We all had the rare opportunity to chat with Vincent during the broadcast on the East Coast via Twitter, his first time doing so. I hope he does still love us in the morning! LOL I love knowing that his favorite LO:CI episode is "Jones" with Griffin Dunne. That's the episode when Bobby plops his foot on the table and boasts of his shoe size "I wear a 13!"

Third amazing thing that happened last night-well, we all know now. After our chat with Vincent was over, I saw a tweet announcing that the President would appear on TV that evening with an important announcement. Later, more tweets were posted telling us the news that Osama bin Laden has been killed by US forces in Pakistan last night. OMG!!!!! It's more than I can adequately express right now, but my feelings run deep on this one, especially since I work near the Ground Zero site and used to spend so much time visiting the World Trade Center with my family and friends back in the day, before we saw hell on earth on 9/11. Crowds gathered around Ground Zero yesterday and today, but I was not there because I'm attending the YAI International Conference in mid-town Manhattan. Good thing, really, because the crowds and traffic downtown were maddening, judging by the TV coverage I saw on the evening news. When I return to work next week, I'll pay my respects at Church and Vesey Streets. The memories are too painful to deal with right now.

Sorry I haven't posted photos yet, but I will soon. Lots going on this week, and I have some catching up to do with my blog posts, including my vids from last week and the Meet the Director and Kill the Irishman Q&A vids. Don't worry, I will get to finish them soon and you will see them all right here. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment